Denver – Colorado’s popular metropolis. While it’s known for its many museums and wonderful people, it also happens to offer a great selection of fantastic indoor climbing gyms. It doesn’t matter what you happen to be looking for, Denver has quite a varied amount of locations. Because of that, we are going to account for the best climbing gyms in Denver as we narrow down the top picks that us and the climbing community view as the most superior ones. With all that said, we will delve into our overall favorite gym in Denver, our top picks, then our runner up, and at last – our value pick which is meant to suit climbers on a budget who want a high amount of quality in the gyms they attend.
Looking for a different city? Check out our reviews of other cities’ climbing gyms here.
Our Favorite for the Best Overall Indoor Climbing Gym in Denver
Starting with a banger, Mountain Strong has a passion for performance and features many services run by a handful of big-time climbing professionals. You can even sign up for a free session to get a feel for the gym if that’s your cup of tea. Their average day features strength, conditioning, open gym, yoga, and much more. Any time of day that you may happen to stop in at Mountain Strong, you’ll be met with a friendly batch of staff and climbers ready to grow and improve.
View this post on Instagram
What Makes Mountain Strong Unique:
- Uniquely enough, they aim to help rebuild muscles and strengthen your overall body to help it become the best it can possibly be. Even more importantly, they also offer online training for climbing and even training camps that can be accompanied by your friends in groups.
Why Choose Mountain Strong:
- Everyone seemingly has great things to say about Mountain Strong, no matter where you look. Just take a look at this online review to get a better understanding, “Love this gym! Everyone was super friendly and welcoming during my first class. Hoping to return for their climbing boot camp or other climbing focused classes. I always find starting at a new gym to be super intimidating but it wasn’t at all, so if you’re nervous, don’t be!”
When we take a look at the services found at Mountain Strong, it’s quite a unique and spectacular amount of classes. Their most special class has to be their mobility/recovery one as not many gyms even have a service similar to this. You’ll build up the strength that you may have lost over the years in your life in any class they offer. However, if you’re looking for something else – yoga, group time, parties, and more can be offered if you talk to their friendly staff.
Here at Mountain Strong, they tend to avoid overcomplicating their services and getting straight to the point and being upfront with each and every customer. As for the pricing, a day pass comes in at $25 which is sure to give you a satisfactory day with this spectacular gym. On the other hand, their memberships start at $144 a month which comes with unlimited use of the facility and gear if you’re in need of that. These two options are all they offer upfront, but if you give a call or stop in at the gym, they will be sure to talk about annual rates and anything else you may be intrigued in.
Our Top Picks for the Best Bouldering Gyms in Denver
Opening in 2002, The Spot Bouldering Gym’s hours range from 6 am – 11 pm on weekdays to 10 am – 8 pm on Saturday & Sunday. The facility is roughly 19,000 square feet in all and the walls go up to 18 feet tall, which is sure to keep you busy for a good amount of time. They aim and of course achieve providing a modern, professional, and safe climbing experience.
View this post on Instagram
What Makes The Spot Bouldering Gym Unique:
- They offer special services and a quality guarantee that most can’t contain. At this facility, they have a permanent slackline set up to warm up your balance and coordination. And on top of that, The Spot has all the weights necessary to get your heart rate up before you start climbing according to the majority of the people who frequent this gym.
Why Choose The Spot Bouldering Gym:
- Most people want to choose a gym that’s highly rated and loved by the majority of climbers, wouldn’t you? But specially enough, this gym receives more 5 star reviews than any other on today’s list, “The Spot is an awesome Bouldering Gym! They have something for all skill levels there. I’ve been going to the Spot for well over 6 years and always feel challenged when I walk in the door. Their route setters are top-notch and always keep you guessing on what’s coming next.”
The Spot offers some of the grandest and most popular climbing events Denver contains. Every month there is another event, most times there are several. Furthermore, they even offer parties for those who have a higher budget and want to have a great group time at this spectacular gym. They even have private group services that allow you to have the gym to yourself and get instruction from their exceptional staff members.
For the pricing at The Spot Bouldering Gym, the monthly membership price is a small $65, or even $750 annually. Luckily, they even have more discounts and even $30 monthly memberships for youth. However, if you’re looking for any other membership options you’ll have to have a talk with their lovely customer service which will be sure to be glad to assist you as they have a great reputation. You also get access to all two of The Spot Bouldering Gym locations for the price of one membership.
If you happen to be looking for a gym that’s going to be a pretty sizable challenge and always offer learning experiences for you and climbers alike, Denver Bouldering Club just may be that gym for you. In more detail, they offer an 11,500 square foot gym with 15 feet walls. The decor of the gym is quite superior to most gyms, with a modern and colorful look to every inch of this facility.
View this post on Instagram
What Makes Denver Bouldering Club Unique:
- This gym’s reviews are especially positive and show how happy every single customer is with their purchase of the services at Denver Bouldering Club, “This is an awesome place. The staff is always great, the routes are constantly being redone to keep the challenge changing. There are a mix of easy, medium, and hard routes so people of any climbing ability can go together. There is also some nice work out equipment and strength training are.”
Why Choose Denver Bouldering Club:
Simply put, if you do in fact choose Denver Bouldering Club, you’ll be gifted with 24/7 access once you become a member. Packed with free yoga, three days of the week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. They even have food and drinks if you are so interested as well as a lounge that’s always open for FREE. If that’s not enough for you, one thing that surely all of us can agree that we love is free WiFi.
Especially enough, here at Denver Bouldering Club, they offer some very unique services that aren’t found on the list of other gyms today. One of those includes what they call their ‘Heart & Soul Charity Event’ which raises money for cancer research and is a huge climbing event where those come to watch and participate in. This gym already offers such a premium experience in every crevice, but it also helps that they constantly have a varied assortment of events that join the gym’s roster monthly.
First off, let’s take a look at the pricing description found on their site, “The team at the Denver Bouldering Club works tirelessly to provide the best value climbing experience in the Front Range! Stop by for a climb or stay for a while with one of our membership options.” With that in mind, their day passes are some of the cheapest out there ($16 for adults & $8 for children). Diving into the membership prices, there’s a big variety of ones you can purchase. It’s $80 per month for 24/7 access to the gym, and then only $59 month to month for business hours. And for the gear, the rental shoes are only $5 while the chalk bag is $3.
Our Runner Up for the Best Climbing Gyms in Denver
With ever-changing services, additions, and constant improvements, Earth Treks is extremely massive coming in at 53,000 square feet. This runner up makes the size of today’s other gyms be put to shame and it even offers on-site childcare packed with fantastic staff.
View this post on Instagram
What Makes Earth Treks Unique:
- With a solid 4.8 average rating, the reviews are very positive and filled with compliments, “This place is fantastic. Enormous and plentiful climbing walls with a huge variety of skill levels, routes, and interesting themes. Their bouldering area is superb too. Despite often being very crowded, I can always find a route without much waiting at all. Phenomenal gym, and great exercise over the traditional boring weight lifting.”
Why Choose Earth Treks:
Just by stopping by on their main page you’ll be surprised by the HUGE amount of things the Earth Treks Gym has going on every day – and every hour for that matter. Their schedule is so complex they have had to color-code each event that occurs, just adding to the complexity and plethora of services constantly occurring here. Whether or not you’re in one demographic or the other, you’ll always have something to do at this gym.
Additionally, they offer yoga and fitness classes as is practically the standard in the 21st century for these types of gyms. Although since they have such a wide variety of services, listing them off in a fast manner works best. Those aforementioned services include personal training, parties, summer camps, childcare, instruction, and much much more. Their offerings are always expanding so we are sure you can expect a plethora of more services in the near future.
As you’ll find out, Earth Treks day pass is the exact same price as our next contender being a simple $22. Although if you’re looking for a longer time membership, the one-month single membership is a sizable $110. But the continued month to month membership comes in at $79. Lastly, their gear package includes shoes, harness, and chalk back – which only costs $11.
Our Value Pick for the Best Climbing Gyms in Denver
Ubergrippen embraces the very large climbing community and welcomes every age and every skill level. They are open 6 am – 10 pm Monday through Friday, and then 8 am – 8 pm on the weekends. If specifics are what you’re looking for, this location is a humble 12,000 square feet and filled with massive 40 feet walls. You can expect to see something big going on no matter what time you stop in at this gym, as they are almost always filled with climbers of all demographics.
View this post on Instagram
What Makes Ubergrippen Indoor Climbing Crag Unique:
- Their schedule is as packed as can be in reality, with many group events constantly going on and on. Every time you will stop at this gym you will surely be happy with whatever you happen to find. In reality, the Ubergrippen calendar is one that most will admire and respect for just the large amount of differing activities by the hour.
Why Choose Ubergrippen Indoor Climbing Crag:
- “I will be spending a lot of time here this summer. Helpful, and knowledgeable staff were welcoming. There is a nice seating area near the front and chairs throughout the climbing area. New technology with a number of self belay options. Areas for beginners and kids and more advanced climbers. A decent exercise area on the second floor and large, clean restrooms.”
You may be wondering why exactly we see this as the value pick gym, and simply put – it deserves that title just because it features so many additional services and activities that can even be bundled in with your membership. Some of the focus seems to be put mainly on kids and teens – with a huge number of services that will certainly please kids young and old. But aside from kids, they offer yoga and fitness classes that certainly will improve your day to day life even out of climbing.
Clocking in at a small $22, an adult day pass at Ubergrippen Indoor Climbing Crag could be the perfect buy for you if it’s up your alley. A single one-month membership simply is $105, or much cheaper if you go for an auto-recurring membership being $75 per month. If you go with a membership at this facility, you can get gear each month for a small price of $24. However, gear can be bought individually as well for a much cheaper price if you just need one or two pieces of equipment.
There’s not one gym that can pass the fantastic Mountain Strong gym, which clearly made us pick it for our overall favorite climbing gym in Denver. Their day to day schedule is always changing and evolving which makes it very appealing to us.
However, while Mountain Strong is on top – The Spot Bouldering Gym comes in a clear second as our number 1 top pick. Just the fact that they have been open for almost 20 years goes to show that they are loved and have made their customers happy for these years.
Earth Treks stops in as our best runner up with a large number of positive reviews that show how much people really love this location. Being today’s largest gym at 53,000 square feet, it’s content is practically endless.
For the last gym of the day, Ubergrippen Indoor Climbing seriously stops in as our value pick due to a large amount of content found here for a prize that’s well worth it. Their membership perks are almost endless and need to be seen to be believed.
Out of the four sections of the best climbing gyms in Denver, there’s bound to be one that’s hopefully been able to catch your eye. We can guarantee you that whatever gym you pick you may choose today in Denver, you will be 100% satisfied.
Did you enjoy this guide to the best climbing gyms in Denver? Check out our reviews of other cities’ climbing gyms here.